February 19, 2021
Judaics/ Kodesh, Middle School, High School, Elementary School
Purim resources that can be adapted for your needs. Purim Sameach
- The Megillah Project features dozens of video hot takes on Esther, Vashti and the gang.
- A week of Purim learning on the Hub includes "Yiddish Purim Songs" and "A Pre-Purim Persian Tour of the British Museum."
- Rabotai, an a cappella group, has a Purim parody version of Girls Like You. And here are eight more Purim parodies.
- "Covid-Fatigued Communities Prepare for a Distanced Purim" (JTA)
- "Second Pandemic Purim: I'm Focused on Giving to the Poor" (Jerusalem Post)
- Pardes offers a Purim Holiday Companion, including topics such as “Vashti: Vixen or Victim?” and “How to Give, How to Receive--or Giving is Receiving.”
- The Lookstein Center features a Purim game that involves a meal with ancient Persian historical figures, called “A (Purim) Feast for the Mind.”
- Here’s a brief, fascinating history of the Purim shpiel, “the only genuine folk theater that has survived a thousand years of European culture, and in our day has morphed and flourished.” And this article surveys some of the different kinds of shpiels performed among American Jews. (Dozens of video shpiels can be found on YouTube.)
- A new ritual for Purim is the Esther/Vashti flag.
- Looking for mishloach manot ideas? Here’s food for inspiration on from MyJewishLearning and eye candy on Pinterest.
- A recent trend in Israel is to celebrate the holiday in a healthful, eco-friendly way.
- There are multiple sources and explanations for the popular custom of dressing up in costume on Purim. People look to Google searches to find trends in Purim costumes.
- Purim podcasts (Hadar), and three Purim games.
- "Why Read the Megillah Twice?" (Chabad.org)
- ART in Tanach
- Using Multiple Intelligence to Teach Megillat Esther
- Hebrew Scavenger Hunt through Megillat Esther
- Tracking Down Amalek, FBI Task Force
For High Schools: Discussion about Drinking
- The Use of Wine on Purim
- Biblical and Rabbinical Positions on the Use and Abuse of Wine on Purim
- A Time for Spiritual Sobriety, The Rav on Purim by Dr. Moshe Sokolow, Azrieli Graduate School of Jewish Education and Administration