The following is a growing list of ways to help the Houston-area Jewish community and schools recover from the devastation of Tropical Storm Harvey. This information is being updated in accordance with what Houston community leaders are expressing is needed most. Please check back here often for the most up-to-date and relevant opportunities to help.
- In addition to financial contributions, the Houston community has asked that we please send gift cards to be distributed to faculty, staff, and families in need. Prizmah will collect and distribute these cards starting immediately.
Please purchase gift cards from:
Target, Kroger, Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, Visa, and American Express
Gift cards can be mailed to:
Prizmah: Center for Jewish Day Schools
Attn: Robin Feldman - Harvey Relief
254 W. 54th Street, 11th floor
New York, NY 10019
Why gift cards?
Gift cards are a quick and easy way for the schools to help meet the needs of their own communities, while relieving some of the work of the local Federation. Unrestricted funds are being collected by Houston Federation (and others - links listed below) and we encourage you to support those funds as well.
- Donate to the Jewish Federation of Houston Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, Click here to read a letter from their community
- Donate to the Jewish Federations of North America (JFNA) Houston Fund
- Donate to the Robert M. Beren Academy Hurricane Harvey Tuition Campaign or Israel Scholarship Fund
- Donate to the Beth Yeshurn Day School Harvey Relief Fund
If you live in Canada and would like to make a gift, you can donate through UJA Federation of Greater Toronto or Federation CJA, which will give you a Canadian tax receipt for Canadian income tax purposes.
Looking for ways to talk to your children and students about the damage and destruction they are seeing in the media? The following resources will help you have a healthy discussion about this catastrophe:
- Recovery: After a Hurricane The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Helping Children After a Natural Disaster National Association of School Psychologists
- A Prayer in the Aftermath of a Devastating Storm The Rabbinical Assembly
- Anthology of Religious Responses to Hurricane Sandy NLE Resources
- Reactions and Guidelines for Children Following Crisis and Trauma Drs. Gurwitch, Silovsky, Shultz, Kees