What it is
Prizmah has partnered with BoardSource, the most recognized name in nonprofit governance expertise, to bring the Jewish day school field customized packages for assessing and improving board governance and performance. Thanks to The AVI CHAI Foundation, we are able to offer these packages at a subsidized rate.
These services feature a Board Self-Assessment tool (BSA), that will:
- lay the foundation for setting board development priorities
- motivate board members, individually and collectively, to strength the full board's governance practices and performance
- establish a common understanding of board roles and responsibilities
- measure a board’s performance based on recognized roles and responsibilities
- move your board and lay leaders to the next level of performance
- serve as a starting point for transformative change throughout the school
We realize the needs of each school board are unique, so we offer three different packages (see below), as well as customized offerings.
What's included in every board fitness package
- Intake call with a Prizmah BoardSource-certified coach
- BoardSource’s acclaimed Board Self-Assessment tool (BSA), customized for Jewish day schools, and review of BSA results with your school's HOS and Board Chair
- A presentation highlighting your board's self-assessment results and designed to help you share your self-assessment results with your full board
- A BSA benchmark report to assess your board’s performance in relation to other schools, specifically within the independent/ private school sector, giving you the opportunity to discover how your board’s performance and practices are above-average and also how they can improve, following the example of successful school boards
- A one-year BoardSource membership that offers access to comprehensive member resources, reduced pricing for publications, and complimentary webinars, tools, and more
- Coaching and Board Development Facilitations with BoardSource-certified Prizmah coaches, which includes an assessment of your school's BSA results, identification of priority areas and suggestions for the development of an action plan, as well as guidance on strategic next steps. The three levels of engagement are:
- Level I: 1 hour consultation (virtual, unless board is local to consultant)
- Level II: half day in-person board development facilitation (up to four hours), consisting of a deep-dive on the priority areas, direct instruction, facilitated conversation and monitored progress towards goals
- Level III: full day in-person board development facilitation, or half day plus three hours of follow-up coaching
*Please note the cost of travel and lodging for the consultant’s onsite work is not included. Schools will be billed separately for this expense.
**Learn more about the offerings and benefits of joining the Prizmah Network here.
Is this service close, but not quite exactly what your school needs? We get it. No two schools are completely alike, which is why we are committed to customizing this to accommodate your school's specific reality and budget. Contact Jenny Wechter to learn more.
who it is for
Jewish day school lay leaders looking to strengthen their governance practices to support a thriving school
why we offer it
A great Jewish day school depends on sophisticated and effective governance. Your board works behind the scenes to ensure the school's future plan strategically for excellence. Just as your administration and faculty benefit from professional development, nurturing the growth of your lay leaders in this way will strengthen your school’s ability to deliver a high-quality education.
Good board development will start from a place of understanding your strengths and your challenges. Assessing performance is the most effective way to lay the groundwork for helping your board members understand their duties and implement good governance practices.
how to get started
This program is offered in partnership with: